Heritage Telephone provides residential and business customers with Digital and Traditional Phone Services. If you need help deciding which is best for you, please give us a call at 800.6823.1899 or Contact Us.
Digital VS Traditional Phone: What’s the difference?
The biggest difference between a traditional “land line” phone and digital phone is the method they operate. Traditional phones travel through a network of cable & satellite connections; voice is transmitted into a signal which is decoded into sound waves on the other end. Digital phones, however, run through the internet. Instead of signals, digital phone converts your voice into packets of data. These packets travel over the public and/or a private Internet Protocol (IP). Because of this process, digital phone is often called “VoIP” which stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol.
Advantages & Disadvantages
Now that you know Digital vs Traditional is a matter of signals vs packets, it is easier to understand the advantages of each.
Digital Phone Advantages:
- High quality audio. Data packets are far more effective in delivering an audio output that is closer to the original input, meaning clearer calls and better communication.
- No extra long distance fees. Using the phone over the internet eliminates issues of distance, saving you money.
- Remote access. A digital phone will work from virtually anywhere with an outlet and an internet connection. Going on vacation or working from home? Simply take your phone with you!
Traditional Phone Advantages:
- Doesn’t depend upon an internet connection. A sturdy internet connection is absolutely necessary to digital phone. While many people desire quality internet for it’s own sake, if your internet connection is low-quality, traditional phone is the option for you. Don’t let your current internet interfere with your ability to use digital phone: take a look at our high speed internet packages.
- Works during Power Outages. The lights flicker off. The powers out, but your phone still works. Landlines phones are reliable like that. However, if you’re looking longingly at the many benefits of a Digital Phone, don’t let this be a deal breaker. There are many methods of keeping an internet connection on during outages, including back-up power.
Please keep in mind when considering digital Vs traditional phone services, that not all locations are capable of receiving digital phone. To check your location connections, please call us at 800.823.1899 or send your inquiry through our Contact page.